Instagram is a very famous and preferred social media platform. It is really popular nowadays and is being used by many. One thing about instagram is that anyone who uses instagram can find you on Instagram, if they have your contact saved on their device. This can be a problem if someone whom you have given your number starts stalking you profile or he or she is someone whom you do not want to add in your follower list or just simply you do not wish to add those people in your instagram. And now you simply want to maintain your privacy. In such a case, you can remove your phone number from your Instagram account. In this article we will be helping you with removing your phone number from your instagram account.
Remove Phone Number from Instagram
An instagram user can easily find the other Instagram accounts associated with the phone numbers that are saved on their device by using the Find Friends feature. And as a result, anyone with your number can see your profile, even if you don’t wish them to see it.
And so you are left with two options, either you can make your profile private or remove your number from Instagram. Some people prefer to make their account private in such a case as it is the most easy and suitable method for avoiding this but again the problem is that still your id can be seen as a suggestion in the find friends and the person can identify you by your username and profile picture. And that’s why some people prefer to remove the phone number from their account. And Here’s how you can remove the phone number from your instagram account on your phone.
Steps to Remove Phone Number from Instagram Profile
In order to remove your phone number from your instagram account follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Firstly Open the Instagram app on your phone and then tap on the profile icon present at the bottom right side in the corner.
- Now, on the profile page, click on the Edit Profile icon.
- Now, Scroll down and tap on the Personal Information.
- Before removing the phone number, please make sure that you have a valid email address linked to your account as you will be needing it , if in case you forget your password email will be the only way left for you to get the password reset as your phone number will be removed. And if the email is not linked, then first enter your e-mail ID and verify it using the verification code.
Also, if you have enabled the two step authentication then you will have to disable it. You can disable by following this:- Settings > Security > Two-Factor Authentication.
- Now, you can tap and remove your mobile number from the text box and it will be removed from your profile as well.
Similarly, you can remove the phone number form the instagram account on your computer. Follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Visit the instagram.com
- Login in the site. And then click on your profile picture at the top right corner.
- Then click on the Settings.
- On the next page, remove your phone number and then click on Submit. And with this you are done.
How to disconnect your contacts from Instagram?
Removing Your phone number can be quite troublesome as there might occur a situation when you even forget your email id credentials . And if you want the two step authentication then you must have the phone number linked to your account in such a case removing your phone number will ultimately be annoying for you. So if you do not wish to remove the phone number then you can also disconnect your contacts from instagram.
If you wish to disconnect the contacts syncing with your Instagram, then you need to follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile
- Now, Login to your account
- Then tap on the profile picture on the bottom right corner and now go to your instagram profile. and
- Now, Tap the three-line icon present on top right of the profile
- Scroll down and tap Discover People
- Tap Not now when pop up come up
- Find connect contacts
- Toggle “connect” from on to off.
And with this you are done. Disconnecting you contacts is actually the best way to avoid stalkers and maintain your privacy.
Some frequently asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is it okay to remove the phone number from the instagram account?
If you remove your phone number then you will not be able to reset your password using your mobile number and you will have to link your email id with your account so as to have a method to reset your password in case you forget it.
- Can you have more than one instagram account with the same phone number?
No, you can not have multiple accounts with the same number. But yes you can have a linked account with the same number.
- Are the suggested friends actually our stalkers?
No, the suggested friends are not your stalkers , it’s just an algorithm which is basically based on your mutual friends. It is really complex data but it does not include the accounts who viewed your profile
- How can I remove one of the multiple Instagram accounts I’ve linked to a single login?
If you are having set up of single login for multiple Instagram accounts, then you can remove any of these accounts any time.
To remove an account that you’ve linked to a single login setup from the Instagram app for Android and iPhone:
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner to go to your profile.
- Tap on the three lines present in the top right, then tap on the Settings option.
- Now Tap on the Login Info.
- Now, Tap on next to the account you want to remove.
- And now Tap on Remove.
This was all about unlinking or removing your phone number from your Instagram account. You can also remove or unlink your Facebook account from the Instagram. We hope that the article was useful to you.